Forum Tech Talk Engine "Flutter"

A place for mechanical questions & answers + general discussion around dirt bike maintenance.

Engine "Flutter"

Page 1 of 1
Dan Myers
Last name:
I'm pretty much out of ideas on this issue and it's a bit of a strange one. Curious to see what some other thoughts are out there.

Description:
When at high RPM and minimal throttle, the bike will have a very audible "flutter" sound. It does not do it at low RPM and it does not do it at high RPM with the throttle greater than 15 - 20%. You can most noticeably hear it in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfD2T9_LtJI) at the 15:57 mark. I let off at high RPM and then get back on it minimally and it has this "flutter". It does it again even more noticeably at 18:28.

In response to it, I tend to short shift a bit and it does not do it.

What I've done thus far:
1 - At first I thought it was possibly leaning out on the top end with the Lectron carb so i richened up the power jet and it had no effect.
2 - I then thought it could be the reeds starting to thin and "fluttering" inconsistently with the engine. I put in brand new Boyeson super stock reeds, which had no effect.
3 - lastly, I thought it could be something to do with the power valves. Maybe gunked up or something loose. Checked them and they were very clean and in good mechanical shape.
4 - Note: I've checked the compression a few different times and it's at 150psi.
5 - Recently rode the Moose Run and it had the flutter, but showed no signs of not being able to complete the race outside of two flat tires.

Any other ideas?

Who's online?