Forum Hare Scrambles Sweepers required for Hare Scrambles?

Discussion of Hare Scramble topics

Sweepers required for Hare Scrambles?

Page 1 of 1
ben miller
Last name:
I'm not looking to start a big deal here, just wondered what some of the rest of you thought about how many course workers you'd expect at a Hare Scramble event. I noticed that Memphis only had 1 rider during the event (I put on a vest and worked it as well since my hand was still healing from Brooks). Newark didn't have anyone out during the kids race and I don't believe anyone was riding during the afternoon race (Tobin said no one came through while he spent the race stuck in a creek. And I'm not bringing this up griping that there wasn't someone to pull my kid out, since plenty of other racers tried and it took 6 of us and a quad after the race to do it.) I'm mentioning it here to see if I'm the only one that thinks there should be a minimum of say, 5 riders out during the event to cover reroutes as needed, check on injured riders/mechanical failures etc. ICCR always sends out sweepers with the last wave of riders for our races. I guess I thought this was more than a courtesy.

Racers will stop for an injured rider and wait for a course worker to arrive. And I know there was lots of help from fellow racers yesterday so maybe the course worker position is unnecessary.

Any thoughts from the rest of you would be helpful in drafting a rule change if necessary.
Dan Myers
Last name:
ben miller wrote:I'm not looking to start a big deal here, just wondered what some of the rest of you thought about how many course workers you'd expect at a Hare Scramble event. I noticed that Memphis only had 1 rider during the event (I put on a vest and worked it as well since my hand was still healing from Brooks). Newark didn't have anyone out during the kids race and I don't believe anyone was riding during the afternoon race (Tobin said no one came through while he spent the race stuck in a creek. And I'm not bringing this up griping that there wasn't someone to pull my kid out, since plenty of other racers tried and it took 6 of us and a quad after the race to do it.) I'm mentioning it here to see if I'm the only one that thinks there should be a minimum of say, 5 riders out during the event to cover reroutes as needed, check on injured riders/mechanical failures etc. ICCR always sends out sweepers with the last wave of riders for our races. I guess I thought this was more than a courtesy.

Racers will stop for an injured rider and wait for a course worker to arrive. And I know there was lots of help from fellow racers yesterday so maybe the course worker position is unnecessary.

Any thoughts from the rest of you would be helpful in drafting a rule change if necessary.

I would be in the camp saying there should be a minimum amount of required sweepers for safety primarily. I know I've helped out quite a few people that were stuck and/or overheated at Atalissa.

Nothing more to say other than it's not in the rules currently but should likely be added.
ChrisDamstrom
Last name:
I was wondreing that too Ben , I saw no-one on the 50s track following,just parents running around frantically, and roosted in mud, and there was a point while I was recovering from a section, and was having a difficult time getting my bike out while wonder when the sweeper was comming by cause I could have used some much needed help. But figured they were just busy ?
razornpc
Last name:
Don't count on a sweep crew ever at an OMA race. I've waited an hour with a failed ignition. Lucky Ron Whipple came across me and pulled me back to the pits.

Sweep crew is a good idea imho.
2015 sponsors

Cycletech- www.mycycletech.com
Moose racing-www.mooseracing.com
Enduro Spec-endurospec.com
NUETECH TUbliss-tubliss.com
Pleasant Hill Chiropractic- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pleasant- ... 1796964778
shawn drake
Last name:
Agreed.
Keep this in the back of your mind for the rules meeting. It should be addressed.
YZ250f
KX 144
kx250f
ben miller
Last name:
Also, might be a point to add here about ambulance on site? I didn't see one of those at Newark this weekend. Will be keeping an eye out for one at The Farm this coming Sunday.
thetzel
First name: Trevan
Last name: Hetzel
ben miller wrote:Also, might be a point to add here about ambulance on site?

If I'm not mistaken, it is required by the AMA to have an ambulance on site if the race is AMA sanctioned. But not for IERA I don't think. I don't see anything in the IERA rules anyway.
razornpc
Last name:
thetzel wrote:
ben miller wrote:Also, might be a point to add here about ambulance on site?

If I'm not mistaken, it is required by the AMA to have an ambulance on site if the race is AMA sanctioned. But not for IERA I don't think. I don't see anything in the IERA rules anyway.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

correct
2015 sponsors

Cycletech- www.mycycletech.com
Moose racing-www.mooseracing.com
Enduro Spec-endurospec.com
NUETECH TUbliss-tubliss.com
Pleasant Hill Chiropractic- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pleasant- ... 1796964778
ChrisDamstrom
Last name:
I will admit, It is comforting to see an ambulance on site, I recently found out that its only for ama sanctioned races also, I keep thinkin, man this is a dangerous sport . period, and no ambulance around ?, I feel it should be a no brainer to have one on site, I also understand that it costs money to have them there, I wonder what the cost is .to hire an ambulance crew per hour, i cant find a price, the ones i see want a form filled out, but no price .

Who's online?