Forum Hare Scrambles What did you racers think of LiveLaps?

Discussion of Hare Scramble topics

What did you racers think of LiveLaps?

Page 1 of 1
ben miller
Last name:
Okay racers, this was a test, so I/we need to know what you thought of it from a racer's standpoint. Holeshot said on his first lap the phone took too long to register. I watched Tobin's GoPro on his first lap and it took 4 seconds.

Be civil please. And thanks for coming out to our race today.
razornpc
Last name:
I thought it worked pretty good. Had to wait a little longer 1 time it seemed to me but as a whole I thought it went pretty well.
2015 sponsors

Cycletech- www.mycycletech.com
Moose racing-www.mooseracing.com
Enduro Spec-endurospec.com
NUETECH TUbliss-tubliss.com
Pleasant Hill Chiropractic- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pleasant- ... 1796964778
razornpc
Last name:
Hey Ben, I bet we would get more response from riders on FB. Maybe post your question on there.

I'm regards to the 1 time it took a little longer to get scored, foster beat me by over 2 minutes so the scoring isn't what kept.me out of 1st place. For what it's worth.
2015 sponsors

Pleasant Hill Chiropractic- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pleasant- ... 1796964778
ben miller
Last name:
Thanks Razor. I've been discouraged from posting IERA scoring related discussions on FB. That's from the top.

Thanks for your input.
razornpc
Last name:
Sorry, didn't mean to instigate an open discussion on a more public forum. My bad. I'll refrain from voicing any more of my thoughts as well.
2015 sponsors

dangerdave
Last name:
I think you have your answer razor,please sit down and try to keep your fingers out of your nose! Lol so I'm guessing it didn't go that well? Laptimes and format on the webpage look good, I haven't heard anybody really complain about it but then again I've been out of the loop for awhile......
ben miller
Last name:
Test went really well Dave.
Chums
Last name:
dangerdave wrote:I think you have your answer razor,please sit down and try to keep your fingers out of your nose! Lol so I'm guessing it didn't go that well? Laptimes and format on the webpage look good, I haven't heard anybody really complain about it but then again I've been out of the loop for awhile......

It actually went fantastic for a group of non techy people testing a system they've never used scoring a race for the first time ever with absolutely zero help from the IERA. Yeah I'd say it went pretty awesome! There were no issues, we learned a couple things which is why we test.
We decided before we started if for any reason it took longer than 3sec to scan someone we'd just let them go and manually enter it. We had 5 tags that ran slow for some reason, we'd likely weed those out in the future. Learned having a case on the phone slows down the read a little as well, but cutting a hole in the back over the reader would be the way to go.
I personally think it would be awesome for enduros, it works for hare scrambles but if given the opportunity I think our club would rather use the rfid livelaps just because we know we can run it ourselves and we actually have all the equipment ourselves.
Dan Myers
Last name:
I don't think it could have gone much better. A quick breakdown below on my thoughts:

Event Setup:
1. This takes about 10min. You go to the site, create your event and then the race. You setup the classes and the brands. That's it, you're then good to go.
2. You can also setup banner images to make it look prettier. I used the IERA banner from the website.

1. Registration is very simple. In the future, I would open up pre-registration. This just makes things even easier. It took me about 30 seconds to register each rider by hand as all the tags were already pre-written.
2. The 2nd person verified each tag I wrote. The rider would verify their name, the number of the tag I provided them and the class I entered them into.

Scoring:
1. Scanning requires 2 people. I'd recommend dedicated phones be used in the future with cases cutout for NFC reading. We had 5 instances where we let the rider go and I entered them manually. This constituted 5 manual entries out of ~400 scans. Not bad, I'd say!
2. I ensured the scans were captured on the site's server and then corrected anything that needed it. This wasn't much as I said I only entered 5 riders manually. This takes about 10 seconds to accomplish.

Connectivity:
1. This does require cellular coverage. I used a phone as a hotspot for registration and for any corrections I needed to make during the main race. You can either use a phone's hotspot like I did or you can use a dedicated cradlepoint router.
2. Each site would need to determine what carrier best works and if they need to use a signal booster.

Optional Items:
1. Leaderboard - We used this, but it would be better to have the TV in portrait mode so you can read it much more easily.
2. Overall board - we debated even using this as you can just go to the site and see it live. We ended up using it and a handful of people watched it cycle through. I would recommend we generate a QR code in the future that automatically brings people to the race's site.

Outcome:
As I said, it went really well. No protests and the results were done when the last rider crossed the line. I then put out a message to the results from the app that stated the protest period time and that trophies would be handed out directly after. A number of people thought that was really cool.

Yes, you do have to stop each lap to get scanned. The point of this test was to see if a club without any prior experience could use a completely foreign system successfully. This was to test a very simplified way to score electronically that any club could utilize without many issues. This proved it possible and I am writing an easy "how to" from beginning to end on its usage for harescrambles.

Would RFID usage where you can race through the line be better? Yes and LiveLaps offers that and uses it for the National Enduros. This is similar to what we already use and we would face the same dilemma we did this year where Dale had to step up and finish out the season for us. I'm not lobbying for the pure use of LiveLaps' NFC system next year. This was meant as a test of the system's capabilities and usage. It did well so it serves as a viable option. The other option is to hire a dedicated scoring team, but we'd need to determine the price point to hire a capable crew that doesn't quit. A contract would be advisable with a clause on quitting in the middle of the season would be needed in my opinion.

This is way longer than I intended... I plan on going to the rule's meeting to discuss our test and outcome at the rule's meeting so we can make an informed decision.
razornpc
Last name:
dangerdave wrote:I think you have your answer razor,please sit down and try to keep your fingers out of your nose! Lol so I'm guessing it didn't go that well? Laptimes and format on the webpage look good, I haven't heard anybody really complain about it but then again I've been out of the loop for awhile......

No, it seemed like it worked fine from my stand point as just a rider.
2015 sponsors

razornpc
Last name:
Oh and, since no one else has said it on here, nice work ICCR. That course was a great time! Also good work on the scoring! I think the riders must have approved being I haven't seen any negative feedback on FB or on here.
2015 sponsors

dangerdave
Last name:
Yeah from what I seen on the livelaps website it looked like it went pretty smooth! I'm glad your test went well and hope things start going better for you guys with the scoring and all. It would be nice to just fly through the check gates and not have to stop, that was the hardest part to get the riders to slow down enuff and not try to kill the score team! I remember at Mt pleasant when Stan and this other guy wrecked and took out the scoring tent and equipment.....bout took us out!
ChrisDamstrom
Last name:
We raced.It kept track of us.I heard no complaints of mis-scoring.. what more is there to say ....

Who's online?